Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Camino Real Gira

Since I haven´t been so great about updating my blog, I figured I better share some of my friends´ blogs with you to give you a better idea of what I´ve been up to. We did a gira or hike through Colon, the province north of Panama City through indigenous villages, crossing rivers, hiking over the Continental Divide, and finally reaching the Carribean Sea in one of the hardest backpacking trips I have every completed. Though we only covered thirty miles, much of the hike was in rivers and then in streams... which still spanned over ten meters wide and over three feet deep. Fighting the current and bracing against the pain caused by sand rubbing off layer after layer of skin around our ankles made for a challenge. Once we finally made it to our final site, an Afro-Antillian community on the beach, we couldn´t wait to take showers and clean up. Though we were to find that the town had been out of water for the past ten weeks. Hmmm, back to the river it was to soap up and rinse off! It was a great experience, packing with history of the Camino Real, teaching and learning about nutrition and alcohol in rural villages, and relying on eachother to make it through.
Here´s Elena´s blog with links to the history and maps of our hike and pictures on Facebook: http://panama.tumblr.com/

No comments: