Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Teaching

My teacher training went well. I presented a lot of info they had never heard before (always good in keeping attention), and the index that I made addressed all their concerns from the previous person's lecture on how they are supposed to carry EE through all their subjects. Unfortunately, there was some major confusion on the part of the planners, so I had to drop my activities on how to use the indexes. But the teachers were all flipping through them through other people's presentations, so hah! I won and had the more interesting and useful info. :) I go next week to present it in the city with my boss to the national directors. And I'm picking teachers' brains this week in the seminar for more info for our CEC guide.
Lol, you'd appreciate this... Yesterday the teachers were divided into groups and assigned an EE activity to present to the whole group. I was sent to help one group who had what would seem to be a pretty easy activity on vertebrates. They had to draw five verts on different pieces of paper, write what group of vertebrates it belongs to on the back, and string it all together to make a mobile. So they draw a snake and label it a reptile. Good job. Then they draw a dog and label it a mammal. Nice. Then they draw a loro (parrot), pollito (chick), and a pescado (which means cooked fish that you would eat instead of "pes," the animal, but I wasn't even going to go there). They labeled all three "egglayers." Hmmm, okay, so that is a characteristic of them, but that's not their group. It took me 20 minutes of trying to be pc with them and explaining the heirarchy of animals (Kingdom, Phylum, Class, etc), rereading the example in the book "mamífero, ave, etc". They kept arguing back. And finally saying, "What I'm trying to say is, you're wrong." Then one person in my group got it and took an extra 10 minutes arguing with the others to change it to "birds" and "fish." Oye! But then again, it reminded me of EE seminars in the states that some teachers who had NO science background attended.

And I really am leaning more toward middle school science. While I like that high schoolers have more freedom with classes (like opportunities to get into teaching AP Bio and AP Environmental Science), clubs (like a science one ro Wilderness Club, etc), and push them toward internships (like Mrs. Santiago did with me to get me the cancer research one at Stanford)... I could get stuck teaching Chem or Physics or something, which isn't what I'd like. The middle school curriculum is what I'm more interested, and any of them (6, 7, or 8) would be okay. The lower pay of middle school would also come with less work and pressure I think too. So I'll change that sentence in the personal statement. :) Thanks again!

No comments: