Monday, September 24, 2007

Flushed

I really don’t know what it is about foreign toilets and me. Maybe it is the unwritten first test of entering a new country. All I know is it’s a good thing I’m not receiving a grade, as I don’t know how well I’d fair.

Okay, so my bathroom has both a toilet and a bedae. I used the toilet and then couldn’t find the flusher for the life of me. There was a little box above the toilet with what looked like a button, so I pushed it. Nothing happened. It only went in a little, so I tried pushing it a little more. Again, nothing. All I was really doing was depressing it even further, as it did not springing back out like a normal button would. Hmmm, I decided to mull over it for the night and see if anything better came to mind in the morning.

Come morning I took my Leatherman to the bathroom with me. There is a little screw on the size of the button, so I took it out. The only problem was once I got it out the button still didn’t budge. I closed the screwdriver and just tried to yank the thing off with the pliers. Still nothing. Then I used the screwdriver simply to pry the button out. After several attempts, the button popped out about two inches. Okay, it probably moved just an inch, but when it hadn’t budged in over 12 hours, it sure seemed like a foot. The water started running! Success!!! Only it was pretty much just a trickle. At least it was progress. I brushed my teeth, hoping to disguise the sound of the running water. After a while, I pushed the button again, and the toilet flushed! I was so happy I almost forgot to put the screw back in, but my toilet is once again working and complete.

No comments: