Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Explore

After work today, I decided to try taking the bus somewhere. I wasn't really concerned about where I went, I just wanted to see how the whole bus system works and what I have to do to take a bus anywhere. I decided that the Walmart we pass every day on our way to work would be a great test destination. There were signs on one of the bus lines with "Walmart" written on them, so I assumed that would be the best bus to take, right?

Before I hopped on one of the buses, I observed others using a bus card that they swiped in a machine upon entering. Interesting. I want one too. I asked another lady at the bus stop where I could get one. That didn't get very far, though another lady pointed to the store behind us as a place to buy them. It was a shoe store... was I missing something? Oh well, I asked if I could use change, and they both agreed that it works fine as well. Okay, getting somewhere. They ask where I am going (Walmart) and where I live (well, in Santa Fe for now, but I'm from the States). Yeah, do you think they could tell I wasn't a local? :)

Two buses approach, with the number 2 (aka the one that lists Walmart as a stop) behind another. But the lady who I was originally talking to told me I needed to get on the first bus. I told her that I think I want the second to go to Walmart. She grabbed my arm and told me to come with her on the bus, as it is the one I want. Okey dokey, whatever you say.

I had a feeling that this bus was certainly not the one I wanted, but I was ready for an adventure. (The bus had Santo Tome written on it, which is the name of the town where the institute is located and in the opposite direction as the field and Walmart.) Sure enough, we left Santa Fe and crossed the bridge to Santo Tome. Interesting, maybe the bus makes a big loop. We wound through town and then into the "suburbs" getting increasingly more rural as we went. Then a fellow passenger told me that the last stop was coming. Hmmmm okay.

When in doubt, fain ignorance because as everyone knows, ignorance is bliss. Well actually, ignorance wasn't too far from the truth. I really had no idea where I was going but I didn't really care. I got off the bus with the guy and he gave me his phone number if I had any problems. (I think he asked for mine first, but I told him I didn't know it. Fain ignorance!) He then asked me to call him on my phone to get the number... what was that? I don't understand... Oh the bus just arrived, too bad. :) He was a nice guy, but I think he was probably old enough to be my father, so don't worry, I'll keep my eyes out for better ones!

I got on the bus, and he talked to the driver. I wasn't really paying attention to the exchange between them, but I didn't have to pay for the return trip. Fine by me! The bus driver asked if I knew the language, and I replied that I knew a bit. (See, pretend like you don't know as much as you might and everything always works better.) So then as each person got on the bus (remind you, I was the very first person on) the driver told them I didn't understand anything and that I needed to get to Santa Fe. I am guessing that my new friend told the driver that I was lost. (I thought I told him that I missed my stop, but perhaps that actually translated into I lost my stop... Ahhh, everything makes so much more sense now!)

So, the driver explained in detail my "situation" to a guy about my age who was carrying some notebooks. Yes, student with books will be able to figure out what the stupid foreigner needs! Hey, I was just along for the ride so I didn't care, and I knew where the bus was going now and where I needed to get off. So the boy didn't ask me anything and I didn't offer any info. After a couple more people were told I was lost, the driver called a teacher who had gotten on a while back to come to the front of the bus. He kicked the boy out of his seat next to me and had the lady sit down. Yes, a school teacher would be able to teach the foreigner the ways of Argentina! I thought that he was picking people because they might know English. No such luck. She asked where I lived, so I gave her my address and told her that I lived near the government buildings. She simply repeated this to the bus driver. Now if that was all he wanted to know, he could have just asked me directly!

As we arrived in Santa Fe, we followed the street I ran on the other day. Then we turned past the gov buildings and onto a street paralleling mine. I started getting off the bus and saying thank you to the driver at the stop closest to my apartment... but the driver stopped me and said I should get off at the next stop. Ummm, you know better than I do. So I got off at the next stop which was a block further than the last, and a block further than my apartment. Moral of the story, I can get around town without people's help, and shouldn't take their offers of assistance!

It was a fun trip though. I love traveling by bus as it offered a great chance to see the area without having to get lost yourself. (You can always take the bus back in the opposite direction!) Oh, I forgot to mention where the end of the line was at a cemetery. You've got to admit, it doesn't get any more poetic than that!

No comments: