Monday, October 15, 2007

Peanut butter and BBQs

Well, I just got back from my jog and had a great time. Then instead of coming straight back to the apartment, i went on a search for a blender/food processor to grind my peanuts. I was hoping to just pick up a cheap one... but that might not be possible. The cheapest they had was $30 USD, which is a little disappointing as then they jump to $45. (It makes me think that the cheaper one is actually cheap. Too bad. They had normal blenders all the way up to $100 and more! I was hoping to spend about $15 bucks on one. Kels got Scott a coffee grinder for pretty cheap for his birthday, like I know she didn't spend more than $15, probably about $10 if I recall. I only saw one coffee grinder here and it was again $30.

So in defeat, I picked up a burger off the street. Not literally, it was at a food stand. I thought it would be about 2 pesos, as I had a 2 bill. Nope, when it turned out to be 3 pesos, and I only had another 100 bill and no change. I felt so bad for the guy as he pretty much gave me all the change he had to break my 100. Oops. It was a pretty good burger though, nothing special, but not covered in all the grease and fat that you might associate with a street vendor. Perhaps the burger didn't quite counteract the affects of my run. hehe

Then I went to the grocery (like a corner produce store). I picked up some more fruit, as I ran out quickly from my last shopping trip. Si, un kilo por favor. Beer caught my eye when asked for anything else, so in good nature, I got one of those too. I have to support the local cervaceria (beer factory), don't I? Well, when I got back to the apartment, I ingeniously stowed away my beer in my extra nalgene. After a bit of a trying day in the field today (not to much with me), I figured I could use a good, whole beer. No more of these splitting a single beer between two people (60/40 not in my favor), or even just drinking one out of dixie cup sized glasses. yum. My theory proved correct that just as I finished preparing my new beverage, Ben was sitting at the table of the family room, complained about the tv, left, asked me for one of my apples I just bought, and then returned to complain about the new show that just came on. Good thing I didn't have to wait until he finished drinking my beer too! hehe.

Last night was a blast. After arriving at Martin's house an HOUR late because Ben had a fight with his wife and wanted to get a drink beforehand, I had a chance to mingle with Martin and his wife. She is so bubbly and friendly. I just love her! Martin is such a great guy as well. He's the best host/boss we could have. Perhaps a good description would be the friendliness and concern of a kindergarten teacher, the fun and determination of a frat guy, and the ease of conversation of a friend you've known forever. Anyhow, they decided to have a Argentinian asada bar-b-que for us. That basically means take about a whole cow, cut it up in various pieces, pop all of it in the bbq (which looks like a brick pizza oven), and enjoy! There was sooooo much food and it just kept coming. We had appetizers of cold, bite size pieces of steak dipped in a veggie mayonnaise sauce. Then we had sausages, one that was probably normal and the other "blood sausage". I have no clue what all was in them, but yep, I'd say the later was at least 50% blood. When in Argentina! Then we had one cut of steak. And then another. (By this time I was stuffed.) But then Martin took even more off the bbq. (The pics are from an asada that we had about two weeks later out in the campo.)


I couldn't eat any more, so they switched from beer to some other kind of drink. I can't remember the name of it, but it starts with an "f" (perhaps some fennel-based alcohol...ah it's Fernet) mixed with coke. It was pretty good. Then came the coffee and tea (which I didn't take). Ohhh, I forgot the ice cream in between. mmmm. Then Martin's wife cooked up some marshmallows for us which she had a kick out of. I guess you can't get them anywhere but Walmart here, so most people haven't had them. mmmm :)

That about catches things up here. Hope ya'll are doing well!

No comments: