Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Pictures!

Saphron Finch on the left and a Vermilian Flycatcher on the right.
Some kind of water snake that I've determined won't kill me. (Don't worry, I asked Martin to make sure and didn't have to figure it out through personal experience.)

In the spirit of Halloween, what's better than a bat in a cow carcass? This little guy was originally in one of our bird boxes, but fell out when Ben opened the door to check the box. Instead of leaving him in the sun, I picked him up with a stick to transport him elsewhere. (Ben didn't want to get near it in fear of rabies... And he has a rabies shot already!) So, there weren't any trees in the general area of this nest, but there was a dead cow. What better shade could you ask for?

2 comments:

Kelsey O said...

Those pics are awesome!!! I looked up the bat in my mammal guidebook ... but apparently it doesn't cover Argentina :) But I'm guessing it's in the Vespertilionidae family. The cow carcass looks just like a bat cave, and probably smells better, too. And, I LOVE the birdy pictures!

Kerry said...

I was thinking it was in the family Molossidae. The bat has a prett long tail and that's the familiy of Free-tailed bats. I too couldn't find a guide, so who knows!